125. Isada CM, Stoller JK. Chronic bronchitis: the role of antibiotics. In: Niederman MS, Sarosi GA, Glassroth J, eds. Respiratory infections: a scientific basis for management. London: WB Saunders, 1994:621-33.
126. American Thoracic Society. Standards for the diagnosis and care of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 152:S77-121.
127. Siafakas NM, Vermeire P, Pride NB, Paoletti P, Gibson J, Howard P, et al. Optimal assessment and management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The European Respiratory Society Task Force. Eur Respir J 1995; 8:1398-420.
128. Poole PJ, Black PN. Mucolytic agents for chronic bronchitis or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; 2. Disponível em: URL: www.update-software.com or www.updatusa.com
129. Hansen NC, Skriver A, Brorsen-Riis L, Balslov S, Evald T, Maltbaek N, et al. Orally administered N-acetylcysteine may improve general well-being in patients with mild chronic bronchitis. Respir Med 1994; 88:531-5.
130. British Thoracic Society Research Committee. Oral N-acetylcysteine and exacerbation rates in patients with chronic bronchitis and severe airways obstruction. Thorax 1985; 40:832-5.
131. Boman G, Backer U, Larsson S, Melander B, Wahlander L. Oral acetylcysteine reduces exacerbation rate in chronic bronchitis: report of a trial organized by the Swedish Society for Pulmonary Diseases. Eur J Respir Dis 1983; 64:405-15.
132. Rasmussen JB, Glennow C. Reduction in days of illness after long-term treatment with N-acetylcysteine controlled-release tablets in patients with chronic bronchitis. Eur Respir J 1988; 1:351-5.
133. Collet JP, Shapiro P, Ernst P, Renzi T, Ducruet T, Robinson A. Effects of an immunostimulating agent on acute exacerbations and hospitalizations in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The PARI-IS Study Steering Committee and Research Group. Prevention of Acute Respiratory Infection by an Immunostimulant. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 156:1719-24.
134. Anthonisen NR. OM-8BV for COPD. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 156:1713-4.
135. Irwin RS, Boulet LP, Cloutier MM, Fuller R, Gold PM, Hoffstein V, et al. Managing cough as a defense mechanism and as a symptom. A consensus panel report of the American College of Chest Physicians. Chest 1998; 114:133S-81S.
136. Barbera JA, Roger N, Roca J, Rovira I, Higenbottam TW, Rodriguez-Roisin R. Worsening of pulmonary gas exchange with nitric oxide inhalation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Lancet 1996; 347:436-40.
137. Jones AT, Evans TW. NO: COPD and beyond. Thorax 1997; 52 Suppl 3:S16-21.
138. Bardsley PA, Howard P, DeBacker W, Vermeire P, Mairesse M, Ledent C, et al. Two years treatment with almitrine bismesylate in patients with hypoxic chronic obstructive airways disease. Eur Respir J 1991; 4:308-10.
139. Watanabe S, Kanner RE, Cutillo AG, Menlove RL, Bachand RT, Jr., Szalkowski MB, et al. Long-term effect of almitrine bismesylate in patients with hypoxemic chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am Rev Respir Dis 1989; 140:1269-73.
140. Winkelmann BR, Kullmer TH, Kneissl DG, Trenk D, Kronenberger H. Low-dose almitrine bismesylate in the treatment of hypoxemia due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest 1994; 105:1383-91.
141. Eiser N, Denman WT, West C, Luce P. Oral diamorphine: lack of effect on dyspnoea and exercise tolerance in the “pink puffer” syndrome. Eur Respir J 1991; 4:926-31.
142. Young IH, Daviskas E, Keena VA. Effect of low dose nebulised morphine on exercise endurance in patients with chronic lung disease. Thorax 1989; 44:387-90.
143. Rice KL, Kronenberg RS, Hedemark LL, Niewoehner DE. Effects of chronic administration of codeine and promethazine on breathlessness and exercise tolerance in patients with chronic airflow obstruction. Br J Dis Chest 1987; 81:287-92.
144. Woodcock AA, Gross ER, Gellert A, Shah S, Johnson M, Geddes DM. Effects of dihydrocodeine, alcohol, and caffeine on breathlessness and exercise tolerance in patients with chronic obstructive lung disease and normal blood gases. N Engl J Med 1981; 305:1611-6.
145. Poole PJ, Veale AG, Black PN. The effect of sustained-release morphine on breathlessness and quality of life in severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 157:1877-80.
146. Berry MJ, Rejeski WJ, Adair NE, Zaccaro D. Exercise rehabilitation and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease stage. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 160:1248-53.
147. Foglio K, Bianchi L, Bruletti G, Battista L, Pagani M, Ambrosino N. Long-term effectiveness of pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with chronic airway obstruction. Eur Respir J 1999; 13:125-32.
148. Young P, Dewse M, Fergusson W, Kolbe J. Improvements in outcomes for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) attributable to a hospital-based respiratory rehabilitation programme. Aust N Z J Med 1999; 29:59-65.
149. Griffiths TL, Burr ML, Campbell IA, Lewis-Jenkins V, Mullins J, Shiels K, et al. Results at 1 year of outpatient multidisciplinary pulmonary rehabilitation: a randomised controlled trial [published erratum appears in Lancet 2000;355:1280]. Lancet 2000; 355:362-8.
151. Wijkstra PJ, Van Altena R, Kraan J, Otten V, Postma DS, Koeter GH. Quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease improves after rehabilitation at home. Eur Respir J 1994; 7:269-73.
152. McGavin CR, Gupta SP, Lloyd EL, McHardy GJ. Physical rehabilitation for the chronic bronchitic: results of a controlled trial of exercises in the home. Thorax 1977; 32:307-11.
153. Nocturnal Oxygen Therapy Trial Group. Continuous or nocturnal oxygen therapy in hypoxemic chronic obstructive lung disease: a clinical trial. Ann Intern Med 1980; 93:391-8.
154. Report of the Medical Research Council Working Party. Long term domiciliary oxygen therapy in chronic hypoxic cor pulmonale complicating chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Lancet 1981; 1:681-6.
155. Tarpy SP, Celli BR. Long-term oxygen therapy. N Engl J Med 1995; 333:710-4.
156. Mehran RJ, Deslauriers J. Indications for surgery and patient work-up for bullectomy. Chest Surg Clin N Am 1995; 5:717-34.
157. Benditt JO, Albert RK. Surgical options for patients with advanced emphysema. Clin Chest Med 1997; 18:577-93.
158. Geddes D, Davies M, Koyama H, Hansell D, Pastorino U, Pepper J, et al. Effect of lung-volume-reduction surgery in patients with severe emphysema. N Engl J Med 2000; 343:239-45.
159. The National Emphysema Treatment Trial Research Group. Rationale and design of The National Emphysema Treatment Trial: a prospective randomized trial of lung volume reduction surgery. Chest 1999; 116:1750-61.
160. Trulock EP. Lung transplantation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 155:789-818.
161. Theodore J, Lewiston N. Lung transplantation comes of age. N Engl J Med 1990; 322:772-4.
162. Hosenpud JD, Bennett LE, Keck BM, Fiol B, Boucek MM, Novick RJ. The Registry of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation: fifteenth official report—1998. J Heart Lung Transplant 1998; 17:656-68.
163. Annual report of the US scientific registry for transplant recipients and the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network. Transplant data: 1988-1994. Washington, DC: Division of Transplantation, Health Resources and Services Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services, 1995.
164. Maurer JR, Frost AE, Estenne M, Higenbottam T, Glanville AR. International guidelines for the selection of lung transplant candidates. The International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, the American Thoracic Society, the American Society of Transplant Physicians, the European Respiratory Society. Transplantation 1998; 66:951-6.
165. Regueiro CR, Hamel MB, Davis RB, Desbiens N, Connors AF, Jr., Phillips RS. A comparison of generalist and pulmonologist care for patients hospitalized with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: resource intensity, hospital costs, and survival. SUPPORT Investigators. Am J Med 1998; 105:366-72.
166. Gibson PG, Wlodarczyk JH, Wilson AJ, Sprogis A. Severe exacerbation of chronic obstructive airways disease: health resource use in general practice and hospital. J Qual Clin Pract 1998; 18:125-33.
167. Warren PM, Flenley DC, Millar JS, Avery A. Respiratory failure revisited: acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis between 1961-68 and 1970-76. Lancet 1980; 1:467-70.
168. Anthonisen NR, Manfreda J, Warren CP, Hershfield ES, Harding GK, Nelson NA. Antibiotic therapy in exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Ann Intern Med 1987; 106:196-204.
169. Wilson R. The role of infection in COPD. Chest 1998; 113:242S-8S.
170. Soler N, Torres A, Ewig S, Gonzalez J, Celis R, El-Ebiary M, et al. Bronchial microbial patterns in severe exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) requiring mechanical ventilation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 157:1498-505.
171. Smith CB, Kanner RE, Golden CA, Klauber MR, Renzetti AD, Jr. Effect of viral infections on pulmonary function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases. J Infect Dis 1980; 141:271-80.
172. MacFarlane JT, Colville A, Guion A, Macfarlane RM, Rose DH. Prospective study of aetiology and outcome of adult lower-respiratory-tract infections in the community. Lancet 1993; 341:511-4.
173. Stockley RA, O’Brien C, Pye A, Hill SL. Relationship of sputum color to nature and outpatient management of acute exacerbations of COPD. Chest 2000; 117:1638-45.
174. Anderson HR, Spix C, Medina S, Schouten JP, Castellsague J, Rossi G, et al. Air pollution and daily admissions for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in 6 European cities: results from the APHEA project. Eur Respir J 1997; 10:1064-71.
175. Chodosh S, McCarty J, Farkas S, Drehobl M, Tosiello R, Shan M, et al. Randomized, double-blind study of ciprofloxacin and cefuroxime axetil for treatment of acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis. The Bronchitis Study Group. Clin Infect Dis 1998; 27:722-9.
176. Walsh EE, Falsey AR, Hennessey PA. Respiratory syncytial and other virus infections in persons with chronic cardiopulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 160:791-5.
177. Mogulkoc N, Karakurt S, Isalska B, Bayindir U, Celikel T, Korten V, et al. Acute purulent exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and Chlamydia pneumoniae infection. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 160:349-53.
178. Murphy TF, Sethi S, Klingman KL, Brueggemann AB, Doern GV. Simultaneous respiratory tract colonization by multiple strains of nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: implications for antibiotic therapy. J Infect Dis 1999; 180:404-9.
179. Emerman CL, Effron D, Lukens TW. Spirometric criteria for hospital admission of patients with acute exacerbation of COPD. Chest 1991; 99:595-9.
180. Emerman CL, Lukens TW, Effron D. Physician estimation of FEV1 in acute exacerbation of COPD. Chest 1994; 105:1709-12.
181. Emerman CL, Cydulka RK. Use of peak expiratory flow rate in emergency department evaluation of acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Ann Emerg Med 1996; 27:159-63.
182. Emerman CL, Connors AF, Lukens TW, Effron D, May ME. Relationship between arterial blood gases and spirometry in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Ann Emerg Med 1989; 18:523-7.
183. Thompson WH, Nielson CP, Carvalho P, Charan NB, Crowley JJ. Controlled trial of oral prednisone in outpatients with acute COPD exacerbation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996; 154:407-12.
184. Davies L, Angus RM, Calverley PM. Oral cortico-steroids in patients admitted to hospital with exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a prospective randomised controlled trial. Lancet 1999; 354:456-60.
185. Niewoehner DE, Erbland ML, Deupree RH, Collins D, Gross NJ, Light RW, et al. Effect of systemic glucocorticoids on exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Department of Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study Group.N Engl J Med 1999; 340:1941-7.
186. Connors AF, Jr., Dawson NV, Thomas C, Harrell FE, Jr., Desbiens N, Fulkerson WJ, et al. Outcomes following acute exacerbation of severe chronic obstructive lung disease. The SUPPORT investigators. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996; 154:959-67.
187. Shepperd S, Harwood D, Gray A, Vessey M, Morgan P. Randomised controlled trial comparing hospital at home care with inpatient hospital care. II: cost minimisation analysis. BMJ 1998; 316:1791-6. 188. Gravil JH, Al-Rawas OA, Cotton MM, Flanigan U, Irwin A, Stevenson RD. Home treatment of exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease by an acute respiratory assessment service. Lancet 1998; 351:1853-5.
189. Moayyedi P, Congleton J, Page RL, Pearson SB, Muers MF. Comparison of nebulised salbutamol and ipratropium bromide with salbutamol alone in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax 1995; 50:834-7.
190. Fernandez A, Munoz J, de la Calle B, Alia I, Ezpeleta A, de la Cal MA, et al. Comparison of one versus two bronchodilators in ventilated COPD patients. Intensive Care Med 1994; 20:199-202.
191. Barbera JA, Reyes A, Roca J, Montserrat JM, Wagner PD, Rodriguez-Roisin R. Effect of intravenously administered aminophylline on ventilation/perfusion inequality during recovery from exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am Rev Respir Dis 1992; 145:1328-33.
192. Mahon JL, Laupacis A, Hodder RV, McKim DA, Paterson NA, Wood TE, et al. Theophylline for irreversible chronic airflow limitation: a randomized study comparing n of 1 trials to standard practice. Chest 1999; 115:38-48.
193. Lloberes P, Ramis L, Montserrat JM, Serra J, Campistol J, Picado C, et al. Effect of three different bronchodilators during an exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur Respir J 1988; 1:536-9.
194. Murciano D, Aubier M, Lecocguic Y, Pariente R. Effects of theophylline on diaphragmatic strength and fatigue in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.N Engl J Med 1984; 311:349-53.
195. Emerman CL, Connors AF, Lukens TW, May ME, Effron D. Theophylline concentrations in patients with acute exacerbation of COPD. Am J Emerg Med 1990; 8:289-92.
196. Meyer TJ, Hill NS. Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation to treat respiratory failure. Ann Intern Med 1994; 120:760-70.
197. International Consensus Conferences in Intensive Care Medicine: noninvasive positive pressure ventilation in acute respiratory failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 163:283-91.
198. Bott J, Carroll MP, Conway JH, Keilty SE, Ward EM, Brown AM, et al. Randomised controlled trial of nasal ventilation in acute ventilatory failure due to chronic obstructive airways disease. Lancet 1993; 341:1555-7.
199. Brochard L, Mancebo J, Wysocki M, Lofaso F, Conti G, Rauss A, et al. Noninvasive ventilation for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 1995; 333:817-22.
200. Kramer N, Meyer TJ, Meharg J, Cece RD, Hill NS. Randomized, prospective trial of noninvasive positive pressure ventilation in acute respiratory failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 151:1799-806.
201. Plant PK, Owen JL, Elliott MW. Early use of non-invasive ventilation for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on general respiratory wards: a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2000; 355:1931-5.
202. Esteban A, Anzueto A, Alia I, Gordo F, Apezteguia C, Palizas F, et al. How is mechanical ventilation employed in the intensive care unit? An international utilization review. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161:1450-8.
203. Esteban A, Frutos F, Tobin MJ, Alia I, Solsona Jr, Valverdu I, et al., for the Spanish Lung Failure Collaborative Group. A comparison of four methods of weaning patients from mechanical ventilation. N Engl J Med 1995; 332:345-50.
204. Brochard L, Rauss A, Benito S, Conti G, Mancebo J, Rekik N, et al., Comparison of three methods of gradual withdrawal from ventilatory support during weaning from mechanical ventilation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994; 150:896-903.
205. Nava S, Ambrosino N, Clini E, Prato M, Orlando G, Vitacca M, et al. Noninvasive mechanical ventilation in the weaning of patients with respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1998; 128:721-8.
206. Hilbert G, Gruson D, Portel L, Gbikpi-Benissan G, Cardinaud JP. Noninvasive pressure support ventilation in COPD patients with postextubation hypercapnic respiratory insufficiency. Eur Respir J 1998; 11:1349-53.
207. Kessler R, Faller M, Fourgaut G, Mennecier B, Weitzenblum E. Predictive factors of hospitalization for acute exacerbation in a series of 64 patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 159:158-64.
208. Mushlin AI, Black ER, Connolly CA, Buonaccorso KM, Eberly SW. The necessary length of hospital stay for chronic pulmonary disease. JAMA 1991; 266:80-3.
209. Stoller JK, Lange PA. Inpatient management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respir Care Clin N Am 1998; 4:425-38.
210. Peach H, Pathy MS. Follow-up study of disability among elderly patients discharged from hospital with exacerbations of chronic bronchitis. Thorax 1981; 36:585-9.